Week 4 - 5 - coala & language independent bears

Recap

Last week I managed to merge the code I was working on for the last 4 weeks. It was meant to bring coala language independence support, as far as the bears are concerned. As I explained in the previous posts the developer will still need to write a bit of python because the functionality is implemented as a python decorator. A minimum of 3-4 lines of code is necessary to write the wrapper using the implemented decorator.

With all that being said, I am proud to announce that bears can be now officially be written in languages other than python. Is this a daring cover picture? Yes, yes it is. Have I tested coala with each language represented there? No, no I haven't. It is worth mentioning that there are a lot more features that can be added to the decorator and I will definitely try to add as many as possible.

I don't want to write python

First of all, you should ask yourself why. Secondly, the next part of my project revolves around creating and packaging utilities. Let's explain better.

Creating

For the users that don't feel comfortable with python, there should be some kind of script that creates the wrapper automatically for them by asking some questions and then filling a standard template. This is my goal for this week, building such an utility.

Packaging

Bears in coala come with a separate python package called coala-bears and it includes all bears developed by the coala community so far. There is another GSoC project that aims to make bears decentralized so that one can download only the bears that he needs. It is the goal of my project to develop such an utility that will let you package your bear (supposedly in a pypi package) so that distribution becomes much easier.

Conclusion

To sum it up, the language independence part is pretty much done. Now I am working on making it easier to grasp onto and actually use. I never actually know how to end these blogs and they get kind of awkward at the end so...